Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Pain is inevitable...

suffering is optional.

I came across this Buddhist proverb in a book I was reading the other day. The book is by a writer who likes to write about running, and he was answering the question that many people ask runners--how can you run for so long when it just hurts?

His answer: Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

This is easily my favorite quote right now, and perhaps one of my favorites of all time.

I know I have experienced pain--who hasn't?--and I know that there is much more pain in store for me in the future. I cannot deny this.

But I will not allow myself to suffer anymore during my current time of pain or the inevitable future pain. I will not choose to suffer--because suffering is a choice. I will feel the pain, but I will not dwell on it or allow it to consume me.

No comments: